- This event has passed.
(DC) Miles to Go: Bringing School Transportation into the 21st Century
May 2, 2017 @ 8:45 am - 11:00 am EDT
Every day, nearly 500,000 school buses transport more than 25 million students to and from school. Despite major changes in technology, transportation, and schools themselves, school transportation systems have changed little in the past 50 years. They are often costly, inefficient, and they damage the environment.
Bellwether Education Partners will host a panel to discuss the current state of school transportation from multiple perspectives, including the unique challenges for urban districts, rural districts, and communities with a high degree of school choice.
- Andrew Rotherham, Co-Founder and Partner at Bellwether Education Partners. (Moderator)
- Cindy Stuart, Hillsborough County (FL) School Board member and voting member of the Hillsborough County Metropolitan Planning Organization.
- Mike Hughes, Assistant Director of Transportation at Boston Public Schools.
- Joel Weaver, Director and Principal of Chief Tahgee Elementary Academy (CTEA), a Shoshoni language immersion charter school located on the Fort Hall Indian Reservation in southeast Idaho.
- Kristin Blagg, Research Associate in the Income and Benefits Policy Center at the Urban Institute, focusing on education policy.